6:56 PM PT — NFL commish Roger Goodell has released a statement on Payton’s status .. saying “Our primary concern is for Sean’s health and well-being. He did the right thing by seeking medical attention and we wish him a speedy recovery.”
Commish added … “It shouldn’t come as a surprise as this pandemic continues that members of our NFL family will be directly impacted. This news underscores the importance of everyone following the advice from medical and public health experts to protect themselves and others.”
2:30 PM PT — Sean Payton is responding to the outpouring of support — saying, “Appreciate the well wishes. I’m feeling better and fortunate to not have any of the respiratory symptoms.”
He added, “4 more days at home. #BEATCovid” — and posed a picture to show he’s alive and well.
Coronavirus has officially infiltrated the NFL … with New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton revealing he tested positive for COVID-19.
56-year-old Payton came forward with the info to ESPN on Thursday. Payton says he started feeling under the weather on Sunday and got tested Monday. Payton says he has no fever and no cough and expects to make a full recovery.
Payton told ESPN he came forward because “he wants all people to heed the warnings of government officials, stay inside, and behave responsibly.”
The craziest part … over the weekend, Payton was at a horse racing event at Oaklawn Park in Arkansas talking with a TVG reporter … ABOUT CORONAVIRUS! And, he was definitely NOT social distancing!!!!
Payton told ESPN’s Adam Schefter, “This is not just about social distancing. It’s shutting down here for a week to two weeks.”
“If people understand the curve, and understand the bump, we can easily work together as a country to reduce it. Take a minute to understand what the experts are saying.”
“It’s not complicated to do what they’re asking of us. Just that type of small investment by every one of us will have a dramatic impact.”
In the past week, multiple high-profile people have been diagnosed with the virus — from Kevin Durant to Tom Hanks, Rudy Gobert, Idris Elba, Prince Albert of Monaco and more.
The NFL has canceled multiple events due to the pandemic — including the 2020 NFL Draft which was set to go down next month in Las Vegas.
So far, the league has NOT planned on pushing back the start of the 2020 NFL season.
Originally published — 1:27 PM PT